What are the exchange conditions?
Every year the Exchange Committees consider and update the rules and conditions. The main rules are:
- The applying students must be medical students and members of AMSB.
- Students, who have an average grade below 4.00 from the previous two semesters, do not participate in the first ranking.
- Candidates, who do not have at least 30 points in „Contribution to the AMSB Committees”, do not participate in the rankings.
- Only students who have completed first semester are allowed to apply for a research exchange, and students who have completed third semester are allowed to apply for a professional exchange.
It is very important for the student, when applying for a certain country, first to read their exchange conditions (EC), which can be found here: https://exchange.ifmsa.org/exchange/explore/nmo/list
How can I go on an exchange?
Every year the National Exchange Officers on Professional and on Research Exchange consider, expand and update the exchange conditions. The ranking is based on points, which are given according to the conditions. Your language skills and your grades from the previous two semesters determine the majority of your points. Many students are being ranked only on those points. Students conferences, AMSB campaigns, participation in some other projects also give you points, so participating in the AMSB campaigns is good for your final score.
Applying for an exchange is held in October, after the list with the quotas for the new exchange season is updated. The candidates can choose up to five different countries to apply for. They must fill in a Google form in which they declare their wish to participate in the rankings. Then the candidates must send their documents to the Exchange Committees via email. The required documents are listed in the exchange criteria. Obligatory documents include:
- Proof of records for the previous two semesters.
- Language certificate (An official document proving adequate knowledge of the language or a high school diploma with listed tuition hours).
- Assurance that you are a member of the Local Legal Entity (LE), e. g. AMSB – Varna – member of AMSB.
- Certificate from a previous IFMSA exchange program.
The list is drawn up by the standing committees on Professional Exchange and Research Exchange (SCOPE & SCORE) to AMSB, in accordance with the exchange criteria. After the first draw-up often there are free positions remaining! They are the subject of further draw-ups until all free positions are occupied.
The list is usually announced by the middle of December. This is the time when you must decide whether you are going to keep the traineeship position. If you no longer wish to participate, you free it and it is available for the second draw-up, and so on until all positions are occupied. When you confirm your position you are going to receive an e-mail consisting your password for the IFMSA data base. There you are going to fill in your personal information, your preferred faculties in different cities in descending order, preferred clinics or projects also in descending order, motivational letters and recommendations. In this way the receiving organization is able to process all preferences and distribute all applicants.
Some cities and clinics are particularly popular. Sometimes it is impossible for our partner organizations to fulfil all wishes. The rare occurrence of you not being distributed in any of your desired positions, due to them being already taken, is not a legitimate reason for you to cancel your traineeship. As previously mentioned, this is a rare occurrence, but you should be prepared for the possibility! If you need to cancel due to other reasons, you must do that until the beginning of March next year, so a suitable replacement can be found. The procedure consists of a declaration in which you must confirm that you are canceling and describe your reasons for canceling. In this way you’ll be able to be refunded. If you cancel after the beginning of March you will have to pay the remaining half of the fee, because there is already a contracted position and we need to take care of the arriving person.
What are the point criteria?